Saturday, June 6, 2015

The Danes - Stereotypes, Death, and Sandwiches.

The Danes are a vastly different people than Americans. So far as stereotypes go, they are reserved, quiet, and content to be by themselves. So far as my experience goes, that is seldom true.

The Danes I have encountered are extremely friendly, engaged individuals that enjoy chatting and never mind helping a lost and confused foreigner (guilty as charged). Most everyone speaks english quite well, and isn't offended by my butchering of their language. Certain things about the stereotype are true, and I notice this mostly when walking around the streets of Copenhagen. Strangers don't smile at you when you walk by, nor will they engage you without reason (unlike my American mother, who enjoys chatting up most everyone she meets).

The Danes, of course, are more complicated than their stereotype. Their views on many things are interesting to me, especially since they are so different from the ones I grew up around. Take death for example. I find cemeteries solemn, somewhat depressing places to be. They remind me of family and friends that are no longer with me, and take me back to painful memories of past funerals. The Danes seemingly do not associate these feelings with cemeteries whatsoever.

The Danes, when the weather warms and the sun shines, picnic and sunbathe in their cemeteries. Instead of feeling sorrow for lives ended, they celebrate life itself. When ordering smørrebrød for the first time (danish open-faced sandwich), the man behind me in line recommended that I take it around the corner to the "charming cemetery with great benches." By this time, I had already realized this was a common practice, but I still found myself smiling to the man.

Maybe this comfort with death arises from the famous danish happiness and content. Maybe it's a healthier practice than my more American views of death. Maybe this is why danish cemeteries seem so much happier and beautiful. Maybe I'm writing this entry in a cemetery.

If you find yourself in Denmark, grab some smørrebrød and head to the nearest cemetery. You'll find yourself in good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment