Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Nature and the Body

First off, Danish parks are incredibly beautiful.


Really, really beautiful.


Stop-and-smell-the-flowers beautiful.


You get the point. These photos are from my trip to Ørstedsparken* last week during the hottest day thus far. And I wasn't alone. Danes had flocked to the park to enjoy the weather the only way they seem to know how: sunbathing. 

Those who weren't sunbathing were under the age of 10 and congregated to a field to run around furiously/ climb trees/ yell/ be kids. It was a pleasure to watch them enjoy life so readily and actively, and I was sad to leave them and have to pretend to be an adult again. As I was passing by the last of the playing children, I noticed that something different about one of the sunbathers. Less than 20 feet away (or about 6.1 meters), one of the women was only wearing one article of clothing - a thong.

I did a double take. And then a triple take. Yes, that's definitely a thong... no, she's definitely not wearing anything else. Immediately I felt slightly awkward and couldn't shake my surprise. I chuckled out loud, but then realized that I in fact was the weird one. None of the children's yelling of ceased, none of the other park visitors stared. The only uncomfortable person was me.

Stepping through the iron gate of the park, I began to dissect my awkwardness. Why was it funny? Why didn't anyone else find it funny? Why did she need to be 99% naked?

... Why shouldn't she be 99% naked?

The answer is: no reason at all. No one cared or was disturbed, and she achieves an even tan. I projected my insecurities with the female body onto her and everyone else. Even as a self-proclaimed feminist, I felt a form of shame for exposing the female figure. Seemingly, Danes are able to live in their bodies with a level of comfort that isn't allowed in the U.S. Her topless body wasn't sexualized or scandalized, or even acknowledged. She was just one of a slew of Danes enjoying the weather, and I felt myself relax, my muscles becoming ever so slightly less tense. I felt a small slice of freedom that I haven't experienced since prepubescence. 

So Danish parks are beautiful. And Danish people are beautiful. And that's it. We can just bask in the sunlight.


*Just for reference, this park apparently does not even crack the list of top ten parks in Copenhagen according to Copenhagen's tourism website. Also, my friend just told me this is a good location to find prostitutes and cocaine at night. The more you know.

1 comment:

  1. Several things:
    1. BEAUTIFUL PARK!
    2. LOVING this post. I'm glad that you found yourself feeling uncomfortable with a situation that others around you found to be normal -- and that instead of presuming self-righteousness, you figured out why you felt that way, thought about where that reaction came from, and reframed your perception. Beautifully articulated.
    3. Hoping you didn't go for the sex workers or cocaine that night.

    Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete